Monday, January 23, 2012

Logos, Ethos and Pathos


In my opinion editorial, I address the obvious superiority of the Ford Motor Company to all its competitors.  In arguing this, I attempt to appeal to the three components of rhetoric: logos, pathos and ethos.  To appeal to the reader’s pathos, I try to stir a feeling of American ingenuity and pride.  I try to show Henry Ford as a man just like any other, but with a dream.  Later, I also try to give the reader a sense of adventure when bringing up the idea of a real sports car that anyone can own.
To use ethos, I state that I myself am a certified mechanic and give the reader an idea that though I am similar to them, I decided to pursue the hobby of motoring and have become an expert.  I also state I have worked at the Ford Proving Grounds and have seen testing take place.  It is very important to realize this distinction because it makes the reader feel as if he too could be as much of an expert as me, but chose not to and therefore builds trust between the reader and I.  Also, the correct use of automotive jargon is important in my editorial; using acronyms such as ASE, names such as Chilton’s and places such as skid pads and the DDC (Dearborn Development Center) establish a familiarity with the automotive world.
Lastly, I use logos to my advantage by using specific numbers, years and facts.  Though I may not state specific ad campaigns, I cite the “Every Man’s Boss” campaign of the late 60s and then go on to describe the extensive testing that takes place before the finished product reaches the consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment