Friday, January 27, 2012

Having insufficient funds to purchase a car, I bought a longboard as my primary means of transportation. Over the past month however, I have run into a problem: I have been stopped on two separate occasions for riding my longboard. First, I was stopped by a Provo Police officer (yeah that's right, a ProPo...) because I was riding after dark with no headlight and no taillight. After being reprimanded, I thanked the officer and walked away briskly before he could ask for ID or think of something else to do. Realizing my apparent illegal activity, I decided it was safer to ride on private property--BYU that is.  This was going well until I was stopped by a BYU officer who informed me that "you longboarders have damaged church property--and we'll have no more of that" (or something to that effect). Frankly, I was offended. I like to think of myself as a good upstanding LDS youth. If the city's biggest problem is longboarding home from school after dark, then this seems a great college campus. Also, I can say with confidence that whatever longboarder "damaged" Church or Temple property was likely not an LDS youth. As much as I would like to have a car, I cannot afford it. And now apparently I am a delinquent for trying to get from place to place.....

5 comments:

  1. I understand, I left my Dodge Ram and Cadillac STS (which I worked for, fixed, and maintained myself… unlike many kids these days) back home to save some money. Currently, I either ride my bike, the bus “The Ryde,” or borrow my sister’s Pontiac G6- if she doesn’t need it. I will say though, bikes can be great and inexpensive; however, you will be out in the elements. If you live at WyView, consider getting a ride with “The Ryde,” and if you get 9-10 friends to join, your pass is free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you longboarders"
    I'm all for the propagation of stereotypes, but I don't really see a correlation between riding a longboard and damaging church property. I think that BYU is too strict on the whole "skateboarding longboarding thing" and I wish it wasn't so strict. However, I don't know a time when these rules weren't in place and so maybe they do have purpose. (maybe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the hypothetical situation where longboarders damaged temple property like i was informed involved not mormons... (honestly come on, what did they grind with a longboard? or did it damage the asphalt from those hard rubber wheels?....) i dont think any BYU student would try to damage church or temple property and if they did having or not having a longboard would not affect that decision....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say that BYU and the surrounding Provo area has a strange stereotypical aversion to longboarders and the like. Not that I would know anything about that tomfoolery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For perfect car accessories is necessity. Really, excellent collections professionally uses about automotive product.

    cart casters & shopping cart caster

    ReplyDelete